It’s freaking cold outside guys! When the temperatures drop, I tend to use my slow cooker more often and turn to more comforting meals like chili or soup. Since so many are participating in the Whole30 Challenge this month, I decided to pick up my Whole30 recipe book to make some quality healthy meals I enjoyed my first go-around.
I will say, yes… this is pretty much the exact recipe from the book. In fact, if you have The Whole30 Book, it’s on page 342. However, I did add an ingredient that gives the chili a sweet touch and my recipe shows how to make it in your slow cooker. It’s pretty much a delicious bowl of meat and veggies, but a household winner to my sometimes picky boyfriend. (sorry Conor :p)
Enjoy and feel free to share some of your favorite Whole30 recipes below for a chance for me to try and feature them on the blog!
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, bison [my favorite], lamb)
- 1 butternut squash [my addition to the classic Whole30 recipe]
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- HEAT large pot/high walled skillet over medium-high heat (without cooking fat). Add ground meat until fully browned.
- REMOVE meat from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a side dish. Keep the leftover fat in the pot.
- ADD onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, mustard powder, and salt to the pot. Reduce to medium-low and cook until onions are translucent.
- TRANSFER contents of pot into slow cooker.
- ADD red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, butternut squash, and beef broth to slow cooker. Mix.
- SET slow cooker on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- ENJOY! 🙂
Let me know if you try this yummy recipe! There are so many renditions of chili, I’d love to hear your own, so share in the comments below!